Friday, March 26, 2010

2010 Ford Fusion SEL, an AW Drivers Log


2010 Ford Fusion SEL


EDITOR WES RAYNAL: While I find the price a bit steep, this is a perfectly fine midsize sedan. The styling is spot-on to my eye. I have heard some beefing about the front grille being too big, but I like the way the car looks.

The chassis is competent, and the driving experience was pleasant all around. I thought the ride was smooth and the steering direct and nicely weighted. I'm really impressed with the quiet ride out on the freeway, which is among the quietest mainstream (that is to say non-German) midsize sedans I remember.

The materials inside are hugely improved, and the seats are fantastic, being both comfortable and supportive. I was impressed, and liked the Fusion way more than I thought I would.

COPY EDITOR CYNTHIA L. OROSCO: I've seen quite a few Fusions on the road, and I can see why. This is a solid midsize sedan that I imagine would appeal to singles and families. The lines are fine, I like the chunky grille and the interior is nice. And wow, is there a good deal of power here, and no hesitation at all when jumping on the expressway, passing, etc. I was easily topping 80 mph without feeling it and without having to floor it. You step on the pedal and this Fusion goes; the ride is pretty smooth and there's no floatiness. The brakes are solid, too, which I got to test a few times in rush-hour traffic.

While this car has good power, it wasn't loud, even when I opened the sunroof on the expressway. Also, I like the big, clear screen on the center stack, and all of the controls are accessible and easy to use. The seats felt good, but I didn't like how the headrest is at an angle. That's not a nit of just the Fusion; I don't like that setup on any vehicle. Maybe it's just me because I'm short and that type of headrest can become pesky and uncomfortable.

Overall, it seems like Ford has a solid ride here. I'd say the $29K sticker is a bit expensive, but as long as Ford keeps selling them, well, that's what matter.

SENIOR WEB REPORTER GREG MIGLIORE: Solid competitor. I agree, the sticker is a bit heavy, even with all the options, but it's an enjoyable, comfortable drive.

Inside there is a lot of attention to detail. Nice seats with contrasting stitching, great gauges, etc. Steering was responsive and the body was well-maintained in corners and on tight turns. The six-speed was smooth for the most part, and acceleration was peppy.

Add all the dressings here--blind-spot detection, satellite radio, moonroof--and this is a very enjoyable ride. It's a good expressway cruiser that's fine on city streets, too. It's a well-done chassis for most driving situations.

I like the design with that toothy grille and edgy headlights. The sheetmetal has some nice lines, too. In a midsize segment that's uniformly bland, this is a juiced-up execution.

SENIOR EDITOR FOR NEWS BOB GRITZINGER: This car remains one of the best midsizers in the marketplace and is highly competitive with anything in this price and segment--foreign or domestic.

That said, I found the six-speed's gearing hunting on downshift a little too slow for my taste, so I opted for manual mode and solved most of my need for speed. However, that process also revealed that the shifter feels fairly nondescript, dull and plasticky in its operation, rather than smooth like most auto-sticks.

I'd love to see Ford drop that twin-turbo V6 into this car. That'd be some kind of SHO.

2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Base Price: $24,700

As-Tested Price: $29,880

Drivetrain: 3.0-liter V6; FWD, six-speed automatic

Output: 240 hp @ 6,550 rpm, 223 lb-ft @ 4,300 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,446 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 21/22.0 mpg

Options: Rapid spec 302a including driver's vision group, blind-spot information system with cross-traffic alert, rearview camera, moon & tune value package, moonroof, 12-speaker Sony sound system ($2,740); navigation ($1,775); 3.0-liter V6 Duratec engine ($1,610)

No comments:

Post a Comment